Sun guaranteed or almost!
Cold and rain have taken over our winter days and every ordinary golfer is looking for a way to see if the grass is greener elsewhere, and especially if the sky is bluer.
Here are a few ideas for a stay that we have had the chance to test and that we highly recommend.
To start with, let’s try Spain: our neighbours so close geographically and culturally… And whose prices are really affordable.
In particular Andalusia which offers the best value for money ever: 399 euros for 5 nights in a double room with half board at the 5***** Precise Resort El Rompido hotel (access to the spa included), 3 green-fees on the north and south courses of El Rompido! El Rompido is a small fishing village spared from real estate madness, located in the province of Huelva, along the Atlantic Sea, an hour’s drive from Seville and 40 kilometres from Portugal.
Not far away, near Cadiz and Jerez, I strongly encourage you to try two resorts dedicated to golf, whose prices are also very attractive:
- The MontecastilloBarcelo Golf Resort, which has a magnificent course designed by Jack Nicklaus on which major international competitions such as the Volvo Masters have been held. Prices per night are 68 euros in low season… and golf is free on certain dates! A very good starting point to visit the famous Andalusian “pueblos bancos”.
- The Iberostar Royal Andalus which adjoins 36 holes of golf that is said to be the masterpiece of Seve Ballesteros. 50 euros per night! Not to be frequented in the summer when families and children invade the area, but a delight in low season, especially since the beautiful city of Cadiz is only a few minutes away by car.
In this same Andalusia, for those looking for a little more comfort, two addresses that cannot be ignored:
- The Parador Malaga Golf is located in front of the sea, with direct access to a beautiful white sandy beach. The spacious and comfortable rooms have beautiful sea views. Golf is its emblem. Note a great promotion in this period of low season: 165 euros pp, night, dinner, open bar and breakfast!
Let’s move on to the other favourite destination of French golfers: Morocco where hospitality and sunshine are a sure value! With a big advantage: everyone speaks French, which makes life a lot easier for golfers from France!
There is no need to dwell on the well-known destinations of Marrakech, Agadir or Tangier, which we have already mentioned and which we will return to shortly.
Today, let me introduce you to two new “golf destinations” that deserve to be visited as soon as possible:
- and first of all, the Tagahazout Bay Golfet Hyatt Hotel which is a foretaste of a great ecological tourist project located in the north of Agadir on 600 hectares. For the moment, the magnificent golf course designed by the immense Kyle Philips and hosted by the former head of the Vigiers, Aziz Chabi, attracts champions and amateurs fascinated by the exceptional location of this 18-hole course overlooking the Atlantic Ocean and by the quality of the facilities. But also by the 24-hour service of the hotel structure, an example of the quality of proximity and discretion. The suites are spacious, elegant and modern. For four nights with breakfasts, transfers, city shuttles, two green fees and access to the fitness centre, allow 350 euros pp. Also worth mentioning is a very nice tourist project dedicated to surfing at the foot of the golf course which is already a great success.
- The other golf destination Morocco is a Palace located on the seafront near the capital, Rabat: L’Amphitrite. A Palace that deserves its name by its service and the benefits offered including a Golf Passs that allows you to play the 5 beautiful courses nearby including the famous Dar Essalam designed by Robert Trent Jones, very technical and of incredible environmental beauty on 440 hectares. 7 nights in BB, 5 green-fees, access to the spa and transfers for 780 euros per person.
Another destination in the Maghreb that I recommend, especially for those who wish to help Tunisia, this country that is so attractive, so open and that has chosen the camp of democracy in these difficult times: the Seabel Alhambra Beach Golf & Spa in Port El Kantaoui, a completely renovated hotel that has two 18-hole golf courses signed Ronald Fream and a spa with a huge oriental hammam. Less than 45 minutes away, there are four other good golf courses. Seabel is luxury at a very affordable price. The 7d/6 nights all inclusive golfer package is from only 390 euros ! www.seabelhotels.com.
Other faraway destinations that are also popular with golfers looking for sunshine in winter:
- Mauritius. With two big advantages: no jet lag and dreamy routes. And a novelty: a golf pass that allows you to save 40% on the green fees of prestigious courses such as Belle Mare, Ile aux cerfs, Anahita, Paradis, Tamarina, Heritage… www.tourism-mauritius.mu
- Thailand: everything is perfect, the kindness of the people, the climate… outside of the rainy periods, the food, the calm of life. Everything is cheap… except golf, which is at western prices. Where to go? For a first experience, Huan Hin, the royal seaside resort, with several courses including the prestigious Black Mountain and Banyan. You can find apartments of 100 square meters near the beach for 600 euros a month!
- South Africa, a country that will attract nature, wine and Gary Player lovers, of which I am one. For fun and rest, don’t hesitate to go to the Legends Golf & Safari Resort, the “Home of the Extreme 19th”. Par 3 of madness played from the top of a mountain that can be reached by helicopter. Also note that the small houses that serve as residences are scattered in a paradisiacal park in the middle of the wilderness where you can meet lions, rhinos and elephants etc… The must to talk about it all your life.
- California : any golfer attracted by the U.S. should one day treat himself to the Torrey Pines/Pebble Beach trip via Santa Barbara and Carmel. In a convertible car, ray-bans and bandanas! A dream journey and dream journeys. For a golfer, as memorable as Scotland but not for the same reasons, of course. To book your hotel in California, don’t wait any longer.